Posted - 12 Mar 2018
Location - HIGHGATE, LONDON, UK
The Senior Butler is expected to support the Butler Manager and House Management with a wide range of operationally essential tasks.
All Butlers are expected to work in partnership with the estate team to give the highest level of operational service whilst supervising their own team. You will be working in a busy estate where the ability to think on your feet is expected and following important instructions. You will be expected to have extensive experience in the following areas:
• Total discretion and the ability to give excellent service, but not intrude on Principal’s private space.
• Assisting the Butler Manager in all duties and tasks.
• Organizing the Junior Butlers' tasks and prioritising their duties.
• Plan the stocktakes and deep cleaning.
• Implementing the desired level of service.
• Assisting with training and developing methods and systems for the Butler team.
• Check the standards and completed tasks of all the Butlers
• Responsible for supervising and directing the Butlers in all areas.
• Taking full responsibility of instructed duties, areas and team.
• Adapting to changes during service/family in residence in a quick and professional manner.
• Key management.
• Meeting room management.
• Standing in for the Butler Manager when absent.
• Front of House service, meeting and greeting guests.
• Coordinating luggage delivery and collection from rooms.
• Valeting duties.
• Baggage duties to include packing and unpacking.
• Acceptance and movement of goods deliveries.
• Table and bar service (to include wet bar duties).
• Cleaning & restocking of bars and Nespresso style coffee points, tea and water points as required.
• Responsible for stock rotation and stock-taking.
• Meal and tray service as required.
• Laying up and clearing of meal service.
• All types of service required including Silver service.
• Cellar management; fine wine and spirits knowledge.
• Cigar care, stocktakes and humidor maintenance; lighter care and refilling; cleaning and care of ashtrays.
• Maintenance of general cleanliness in pantry areas, stock rooms, service areas, eg Garden Pavilions
• Specialist cleaning techniques and polishing of high end dinner and cutlery services. Conservation of silver, gilt and glass items.
• Stocktaking and checks of all dinner sets and silverware.
• Furniture adjustments as required for rooms.
• Operate in a Spa environment with discretion.
• Recording and relaying messages.
• Clock care and winding.
• Close-down of the service areas and house whilst the family is in residence.
• Highest standards of personal grooming.
• Uniforms are supplied, Butlers are responsible for the organization of their suit dry-cleaning.
• To be flexible with working hours and adaptable to change. Must be flexible to work weekends and Bank Holidays, sometimes at short notice. Time will be given in lieu when overtime is worked.
• Any other duties required to support the estate operation.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
The Senior Butler could be trained in a recognized Butler Academy or is expected to have at least 3 years’ experience within a leading hotel or catering industry establishment or had experience of working within a private house for UHNWI. You should be educated to an acceptable level and be able to demonstrate a wide range of skills and knowledge within your respective discipline. The individual must have a willingness and desire to learn and progress.
• Critical eye for detail.
• Flexibility and adaptability to juggle a range of different tasks and to work extra hours to meet deadlines.
• Discretion and an understanding of confidentiality issues.
• Willing to learn new skills and enhance current knowledge.
• Languages would be helpful.
• Able to work in a SPA environment.
This is a demanding and high-pressure role running a private estate at 7* level. This role would best suit someone who is at the very top of their discipline and wants to take themselves and their team to the next level. The investment in this person is a reflection of the value placed on the staff by the Principals, and this level of ownership comes with the salary range and benefits you would expect for such a prestigious post.
Hours: Monday-Friday, 10 hours per day and occasional weekends paid as overtime.
Salary: £35,000-£40,000 per annum.
Ref: EHS #1897