FAMILY OFFICE CONTROLLER
Posted - 19 Nov 2021
Location - GREATER MIAMI, FL, USA
An exclusive opportunity has arisen with a family office within the greater Miami area that is looking for a Controller.
The Controller will be a key member of the leadership team and will work closely with the family and Managing Partner of the family office, providing fiduciary oversight for a diverse portfolio of
As a financial expert, the Controller is responsible for (i) improving upon and overseeing core finance & accounting, wealth management, tax planning, and risk management processes, (ii)
supporting sound internal financial decision-making, and (iii) providing family members with outstanding financial support. The Controller also ensures the effective administration of trusts and
provides fiduciary insight and counsel to trustees. This role will help establish a family office and build the necessary infrastructure.
Key areas of responsibility:
Accounting & Cash Management:
- Implement and manage financial and accounting systems, processes, tools and control systems and ensure maintenance of appropriate internal controls and financial procedures.
- Manage banking relationships and credit card accounts.
- Ensure timeliness, accuracy and usefulness of financial and management reporting.
- Act as a liaison between Family Office and Corporate Accounting Office for equity and expense accounting.
Ensure timely and accurate filing of all tax returns.
- Serve as a key point of contact for external auditors; manage preparation and support of external audits.
Ensure legal and regulatory compliance regarding all financial functions.
- Review all month-end closing activities including general ledger maintenance, balance sheet reconciliations and cost allocations.
Financial Planning & Analysis:
- Manage the annual budget process for family household and affiliated businesses.
- Provide, maintain, measure, and report on operating budgets for the Family Office and all affiliated businesses. Lead the accounting team to prepare and maintain regular financial planning
reports and forecasts at the consolidated and entity level including sources and uses of cash within and across entities.
- Complete analysis of financial results
- Assist in financial and economic due diligence of prospective investments.
Wealth Management, Tax Planning, Risk Management:
- Drive efficient and effective income and estate tax planning in conjunction with accountants, tax
advisors and attorneys.
- Ensure liquidity planning and cash management incorporating family decisions and needs.
- Help optimize risk management strategies, including asset protection, insurance, and investment
Standards and Oversight:
- Ensure effective financial management, including budget preparation, cash flow management and re-forecasting. Maintain accurate record of asset holdings, ownership percentages and applicable
- Ensure appropriate, timely financial compliance and reporting.
- Ensure compliance with relevant legal requirements, regulations, and minimum standards.
- Ensure appropriate and necessary controls are in place and documented so as to pass audit or
inspection by any governing body. Develop and maintain systems of internal controls to safeguard
financial assets of the organization and its designated affiliates including but not limited to
independent auditors and regulatory compliance review.
- Ensure effective, efficient processes, systems, tools, and norms related to use of financial
information to enable high-performance governance and management.
- Ensure timely and accurate disbursement of funds.
Client Service Provision:
- Provide finance and accounting services such as tax preparation, risk management, bill pay, and
- Support financing and financial operations related to residential holdings and acquisitions.
- Manage real estate holdings.
- Minimum of 10-15 years of relevant experience required. Background with strong partnership accounting, investment management/family office experience. Bachelor’s degree and CPA required.
- Proficient understanding of accounting and tax principles a must.
- Ability to exude the highest level of confidentiality with special attention to sensitive information related to ownerships assets and financial positions. High level of integrity and
dependability with a strong sense of urgency and results-orientation.
- Broad experience or understanding of various legal entities; S-Corporations, Limited Liability Companies, Partnerships, and Trusts, including tax and accounting for such entities.
- Proficiency with computers and relevant software applications, e.g. ERP systems, Quicken, QuickBooks and other financial systems, Microsoft Excel.
Salary: up to $180,000 – $250,000 basic salary
Benefits: healthcare, 401k, FSA, EAP and more plus discretionary bonus
Please note that is a full time, in-office position.
If you would like to apply for this role please send your CV to Kay Shah at email@example.com